Fazer Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In regards to rolling.

+2
Chaz01
Patchworq
6 posters

Go down

In regards to rolling. Empty In regards to rolling.

Post by Patchworq Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:02 pm

Question: Is rolling an accurate way to calculate success or failure?

Rolling is simply a RNG. It does not calculate the strengths and weaknesses when you use it. It can be quite rediculous. Say a trooper attacks another trooper. They both roll. The attacker gets a 40 and the defender gets a 55. The defender wins, right? Now lets say the defender Is mortally wounded. Should the defender still win the dice roll? Lets fix it. The attacker still gets a 40, but the defender take a -30 on his roll for penalty. Now the attacker gets 40 and the defender gets a 25, so the attacker wins. This is only one solution to the problem.

Another way to fix it is to get rid of it all together. Instead of rolling, the defender should know that he is at a significant disadvantage, and allow the attacker to attack him. his not only saves time, but by doing this it shows how good you are at RP by being able to accurately judge your character situation. The only downside is this also allows for Powergaming.

So, I would like to hear your opinions on this. Do you think rolling is a good way to go about things?
Patchworq
Patchworq
Donator

Donator

Back to top Go down

In regards to rolling. Empty Re: In regards to rolling.

Post by Chaz01 Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:37 am

Yes, indeed. Rolling shouldn't really have penalties, but be removed all together, rolling is just an old way that people never dropped off.

It needs to be dropped.
Chaz01
Chaz01
Admin

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Olonerpo Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:50 am

Its like saying, a little girl rolls 100 against a world heavy weight champion that rolls anything below a 100 is screwed.
Olonerpo
Olonerpo
Admin

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Maeladea Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:38 am

That is where realism prevails over rolls. It only ever really works in systems like d&d/nwn.
Maeladea
Maeladea

Back to top Go down

Post by reesk92 Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:34 pm

only acurate way to make rolling work is way to complicated which is to use the same method as warhammer and warhammer 40k which is where charecters have modifiers and you add and take away theese modifiers to calculate success rate but like i said way to complex
reesk92
reesk92
Donator

Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by Patchworq Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:36 pm

I participate in tabletop RPGs. Rolling is totally necessary. But, it doesn't really work for a Gmod RPG. I myself prefer the "Don't be an idiot" method.
Patchworq
Patchworq
Donator

Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:27 am

Rolling could be used for people new to role play, lack common sense or people who aren't good at role playing. I personally hate rolling, as a marauder. Common sense is the way to go.
Golden
Golden
Overseer

Overseer

http://fazer-community.nstars.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum